Parents are often frustrated by their children’s apathy, troublesome behavior, destructive habits and inconsistent academic performance. In many cases, conflict and alienation have replaced a vision of a relationship based on mutual caring, cooperation, trust and respect. This disharmony in our homes is being mirrored in society by escalating crime, pregnancy, suicide, drug, and alcohol abuse rates among our youth. Many parents are searching for answers.
WHAT IS THE SOLUTION?
Research has consistently shown that a nurturing family environment is the key element in furthering a child’s academic performance and enhancing social and emotional well-being. So what qualities do parents need to exemplify in order to create a home environment that supports a child’s academic achievement and overall wellbeing?
For the past 18 years, Education for Excellence has offered the Parent Leadership Training® to more than 4000 New York City public school parents as well as parents in Los Angeles and Colombia, South America. The 18-hour growth and development program is based on the premise that, as parents, “we teach who we are”. We have found that children thrive in a more loving and supportive home environment created by parents who embody, and teach by example, the principles and life enhancing skills presented in the Training:
- Conscious choice rather than habitual emotional response
- Taking responsibility instead of blaming others
- Acceptance instead of judgment
- Real listening
- Assertive communication rather than habitual passivity or aggression
- Acceptance instead of judgment
- Forgiveness and Empathy for oneself and others instead of hatred
- Enhanced self-esteem as a foundation for abundance at every level
- Overcoming stifling beliefs and conditioning from the past in order to be open to the possibilities that life offers
BENEFITS AND OUTCOMES:
As they address the core of the parent-child relationship by shifting the focus from being obsessed with their children’s behavior to becoming aware of and responsible for their own behavior, Parent Leadership Training® participants consistently report that they have learned how to:
- Earn the respect they deserve by really listening, communicating assertively, and taking their child's point of view into consideration
- Promote cooperation and connectedness though empathy and understanding rather than by forced compliance and obedience
- Pause, reflect, and make choices that better serve themselves and their family
- Identify their unique parenting style and acknowledge their children’s unique temperament
- Listen at a much deeper level to their children as well as others in their lives
- Recover their sense of self and inner integrity in order to create a more compassionate relationship with their children
- Navigate the delicate balance between freedom and control
In that the principles presented are universal, the Parent Leadership Training® is appropriate for parents of children of any age, ethnicity or nationality.
Although the format can be easily adapted to the needs of the specific population, the training is ideally presented:
- Once a week for 6 consecutive weeks in the morning or evening
- In 2-3 hour sessions
- To between 12-35 participants
- Facilitated in Spanish or English
- A growth and development program for parents. We teach who we are…Our children learn how to listen, communicate, take responsibility, and forgive by observing their parents.
- The course and all materials (books, DVD, handouts etc.) are in Spanish as well as English.
- A safe environment and a sense of community are created as parents share their concerns and learnings and realize that they are not alone in dealing with the challenges that the parenting experience presents.
- As the course is being presented there is always a visual representation (cartoon, video, animation, expert’s interpretation etc.) being projected as a way of supporting the specific topic.
- The books, Masterful Parenting and El Arte de Ser Padres, are used to support the facilitated presentation.
- The home assignments provide an opportunity for each parent participant to practice the specific lessons presented in each class.
MATERIALS AND RESOURCES
- The course text, Masterful Parenting and El Arte de Ser Padres, offers weekly reading and home assignments that experientially support each session
- An Educational for Excellence English or Spanish speaking facilitator whose main abilities include:
- Presenting the material accurately
- Expertise in multicultural communication
- Assisting individuals in processing important issues
- Creating a safe forum for parents to share their challenges and concerns
- A room with a blackboard where the chairs can be arranged in a semicircle
- A DVD player and screen
- A certificate presented to each participant upon successful completion
The cost for the 18-hour, six session training, for up to 32 participants is $4500. This fee includes facilitation in Spanish or English, the book Masterful Parenting or El Arte de Ser Padres for each parent, and all other relevant materials.
Although the format is different, the same principles presented in the Parent Leadership Training provide the foundation for students’ and teachers’ programs as well.
- Leadership Training for teachers which uses Dr. Rosenbaum’s Education for Transformation as a course text
- Trainings presented to school aids, secretaries and counselors
- Leadership Trainings for Parent Coordinators and Administrators
- Ongoing courses presented to students utilizing video and Dr. Rosenbaum’s text for adolescents as a foundation
- The Parent Leadership Academy trains those individuals who work with parents to teach and present the Parent Leadership Training® in their organization or school
Parent Leadership Training® Synopsis
THE IMPORTANCE OF LISTENING
- Pre evaluation questionnaire*
- To Tell The Truth warm-up exercise*
- Leadership Principle …Real Listening
- What Do We Do Instead of Listening* (p. 29)
- Role playing What We Do Instead of Listening*
- HOME ASSIGNMENT - Listening to Your Children (p.32)
- Review Listening home assignment
- Leadership Principle …Choice
- Leadership Principle …How You Relate to the Issue is the Issue
- Leadership Principle …Reflection Before Action
- THE DISCIPLINE OF LOVING
- How Do You Make Yourself Miserable activity*
- HOME ASSIGNMENT - Habits and Choice (p.171)
- Review Habits and Choice home assignment
- Leadership Principle …Acceptance
- I’m Looking at the Man in the Mirror exercise* (p. 65)
- Acceptances and Temperament (p.117)
- HOME ASSIGNMENT – Acceptance… Improving Relationships (p.67)
TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, POSSIBILITIES AND FORGIVENESS
- Review Acceptance home assignment
- Leadership Principle …Responsibility (p.78)
- How We Create, Promote or Allow Whatever is Happening in Our Lives
- Internal vs. External Locus of Control
- Leadership Principle …Forgiveness
- Forgiveness exercise* (page 85)
- HOME ASSIGNMENT - Forgiveness of Self and Others (p. 87)
COMMUNICATION AND CARING
- Review Forgiveness home assignment
- Leadership Principle …Assertive Communication
- Communication questionnaire* (p.91)
- Passive, Aggressive and Assertive handout* (p.94)
- Role playing Passive, Aggressive and Assertive*
- HOME ASSIGNMENT – Observing and Changing Habits in Communication (p.104)
RESOLVING CONFLICT PEACEFULLY and LIVING IN POSSIBILITIES
- Review the Communication home assignment
- Seven Steps to Resolving Conflict Peacefully (p.141)
- Intention for peaceful resolution
- Empathic listening
- Understanding, reflecting and validating other person’s feelings
- Taking responsibility for your feelings
- Understanding the other person’s point of view
- Communicating assertively
- Finding a solution
* in-class exercise
For more information, please call (800) 591-5988 or email firstname.lastname@example.org